About Me

My photo
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Who says you have to follow some kind of guidelines in life... On the advice of a great friend, this blog has been created. Seems, some people find my stories, life, and antics very amusing and comical. I'm not sure I would always agree with them, but I am putting it out there for you to decide on your own... About me: I'm a single mom of 2 amazing boys. My life is pure chaos, organized chaos, and somehow works for me. I'm not always sure how I make it work, but it does and gets us through each day, happy to face the next. Sounds a little crazy, and maybe it is, but it's our life. Our chaotic life...

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Overworked. Underpaid. Under-Appreciated.

I'm sitting here, frustrated at my 16 year old, who at 6am finds it necessary to get me all worked up.  I don't think he does it on purpose, he just does.  Or, maybe it's me, and I'm reading more into things that what is really there.  I'm still pondering that one.

Some days I feel like there should be a button that you can press, to go back to when you crawled out of bed, and just start over.  Too many days I get up, all is great, then the reality of being a single parent, trying to survive on one income in this horrible economy hits me.  At that moment I feel completely overworked, underpaid and very much under-appreciated.  Am I the only one who feels like this?

In my set of circumstances, that is my life.  It has not been an easy road.  It surely has been bumpy, with more bad weather along the way than sunshine.  I truly believe that this bad weather is what makes us who we are.  Would I be the person I am today without the bumps?  I can't really say.

Overworked.  Ok-not really.  Yes, I work a full time job, and then come home to being a full time mom.  Is it really that hard?  Work, no.  Mom, sometimes.  Thankfully, my kids are now teenagers and can mostly fend for themselves.  Yes, I am the ATM machine, taxi driver, maid, cook and a million other things.  And, other than the occasional smart mouth, I actually have it pretty darn easy.  At times it would be nice to be able to defer to another adult, but it is what it is.

Underpaid.  YES!  Remember, employee, mom, ATM machine, taxi driver, maid, cook, etc... I don't think you could actually put a salary on all of those things.  Unfortunately, it comes with the job that the pay sucks, and that's not going to change.  Now, if I could just get my 16 year old to get a job... (just kidding...)

Under-Appreciated.  What a touchy one.  Kids- absolutely!  I don't think that there is anything that I can do as a parent to change this situation.  No matter how hard a parent tries, or does, kids will never appreciate what they do.  This will change when they become adults, so patience is my key.  Work- sometimes.  I do feel appreciated at work, most of the time.  Of course, everyone I think feels a little under-appreciated at times, and wishes that they were recognized occasionally (with a fat pay-increase!).  It just comes with the job.  Life in general-???  I think sometimes we all need to step back and look at our friends, family, and co-workers and appreciate them more.  We don't always think about, nor realize, exactly what others do for us.  It's not always helping, or giving.  Sometimes it's just being there.  They should be appreciated if nothing else, for that.  Everyday.

I think everyone, at some point, even every day, feels a little overworked, underpaid and under-appreciated.  It's life.  It's reality.  The key is where you go with it.  So, I am up, no button to press to do-over.  Ready for the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment